Two women have died after a fire at a flat in the Hilton area of Aberdeen.
The incident on Back Hilton Road, which started just before 6pm last night (Monday, January 30), also saw a baby taken to hospital.
They have since been discharged.
Police and the fire service have launched a joint investigation but there's believed to be no apparent suspicious circumstances.
Press and Journal reporter Graham Fleming is at the scene and has described it as "shocking".
He added: "There's a window that's visable from one of the flat buildings that has a lot of soot coming from it. It's clear there has been a fire.
"After speaking to residents they claim that police and fire have been around for quite a while at this scene and only have just cleared up.
"After the shocking news two people have passed away it's quite a shocked scene here."
Image: Kath Flannery/DC Thomson
A spokesperson for Police Scotland said: “Around 6pm on Monday, 29 January, 2024 officers were called to a report of a fire at a property on Back Hilton Road in Aberdeen.
“Emergency services attended and two women were pronounced dead at the scene.
“A baby was taken to hospital as a precaution and was later discharged.
“The fire was put out by the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service. Neighbouring properties were evacuated as a precaution.
“The road was closed but has now re-opened and we would like to thank people for their patience.
“A joint investigation with the Scottish Fire and Rescue Service is ongoing to establish the full circumstances.
“However, there are no apparent suspicious circumstances at this time.”