Drug-dealing Fraserburgh mum jailed for causing baby son’s death

Three-month-old baby Olly-James Sievwright's death was caused by his drug-dealing mum Amy Beck. Images: Facebook/DC Thomson

A Fraserburgh mum whose baby son died after ingesting an illegal substance has been jailed for seven years.

Amy Beck, 32, was convicted of exposing her three-month old son, Olly-James Sievewright, to the street drugs mephedrone - commonly called M-CAT - and MDMA.

He died on December 22 2019 as a result of ingesting mephedrone, combined with the effects of a peritonitis infection.

Beck, of School Street, was also convicted of being concerned in the supply of the Class B drug mephedrone over a period of almost three years.

Advocate depute Erin Campbell told the High Court in Edinburgh: “It was in the air, on surfaces and on DVD cases.

"Mephedrone was in the milk, in the baby bottle and in the kitchen.

“[Olly-James'] bottle on the day he died had mephedrone in it.

"The environment became polluted by these drugs.”

Judge Fiona Tait told Beck a custodial sentence was the only option, given the nature of her crime.

More from North East Scotland News