Your Name:

Your E-mail:

Your Message:

Police “not to blame” for Aberdeen crash which left motorcyclist in coma

Wednesday February 12th 2020 at 12:19 PM

An independent investigation has found police were “not to blame” for a crash in Aberdeen which left a motorcyclist in a coma.

Christopher Munro, known as Christie, spent almost a fortnight in hospital after colliding with a tree in the Old Deeside railway line in Cults on June 26 last year.

Officers pursued the 28-year-old for around 20 minutes after they spotted him speeding past them with no registration plate and a passenger on the back.

Eight police vehicles followed Christie through areas including Queen’s Road, Skene Square and South Anderson Drive.

At times he drove on the wrong side of the road and anti-clockwise on a roundabout before the chase ended in Thorngrove Avenue.

Sometime later, Christie hit a tree as he swerved to avoid four officers standing across the track.

He broke 11 bones in his face and was left in a coma – his passenger was uninjured.

An independent investigation has now concluded that the police responded properly and proportionately to the incident.

It said: “The motorcyclist’s recklessness and loss of control was considered the major contributory factor to the collision and serious injuries he sustained. 

“During the pursuit, officers activated blue lights and sirens in an attempt to bring the vehicle to a stop.

“However, the driver continued to drive dangerously, significantly exceeding the speed limit on numerous occasions.”

The investigation also found that both men had removed their crash helmets shortly before the crash in an effort to deter police from attempting to stop them.

Christie plead guilty to dangerous driving without insurance or protective headgear, and while disqualified.

Sheriff Graeme Napier imposed a nine-month overnight curfew, two years of social work supervision and banned Christie, of Waulkmill Crescent, from the roads for three years.

Find us on Facebook